How I can work for you

Portrait of Adam Clegg, Barrister specialist in Family Law
Adam Clegg
Family Law Barrister at Stour Chambers

Employing a barrister direct is the new way to litigate. There is now no need to approach a solicitor beforehand.

The key benefit is cost. When you employ me I will work for a fixed fee. If you want, you can save money by dealing with some aspects of the case yourself, perhaps filling in court forms or corresponding with the other parties.

I can help with particular pieces of work: attending hearings, advising on the prospects of success, or helping to draft documents.

This means that you can keep your costs under control.

A barrister at the top of his game

—CM, Canterbury


Cases involving children are always important and always require particular sensitivity.

Learn more

Married couples, divorce and money

Getting divorced is stressful. It can be expensive too, particularly if you don’t recover your fair share of the matrimonial assets. My priority is to get the best possible result for the lowest possible cost.

Learn more

Unmarried couples and their home

Sorting out property ownership can be difficult. Paperwork is crucial. If everything has been recorded then there shouldn’t be a problem. But sometimes documents are lost, incomplete or just unclear. This can lead to unusually complex problems.

Learn more

Grandparents and family members

Perhaps surprisingly, when it comes to going to court in children cases, members of the extended family start at a disadvantage. Unlike parents, they are not automatically entitled to apply to the court for an order. They must instead seek the court’s permission to make the application.

Learn more

Domestic abuse and injunctions

These cases are almost always urgent. There is a lot to be done in very little time. So it’s important to get legal advice at the first available opportunity.

Learn more

Social Services

These are serious cases which can have life-long consequences for the children and family involved. Legal aid is available to parents when social services take them to court. But you may not get legal aid if you are a member of the extended family, or have been invited to join the case. If you can’t get legal aid, I can help.

Learn more

Without your dedication I would not have received this result

—JH, Medway